New powder steel from Uddeholm a bestseller already before it’s launched
The Swedish power player Uddeholm is the world’s leading producer of special steel and in the development of new powder steels. A position that requires man-years of thorough research and testing before innovative new steels like Uddeholm Vanadis 8 SuperClean sees the light of day.
– With pioneering research and development we’re answering to the market’s need for tool steel that has high wear resistance, good dimensional stability combined with the ability to machine high-strength materials. These properties also extend the intervals between stoppages, says Fredrik Carlsson, Product Manager at Uddeholm.
Thanks to Uddeholm Vanadis 8 SuperClean’s unprecedented properties of high resistance to abrasive wear and chipping it’s long awaited by clients all over the world. There’s no doubt that the new powder metallurgical solution meets a need for both toolmakers and tool-users.
– The market is eagerly waiting for this steel. We’ve received overwhelmingly positive response from clients all over the world. Through testing they got a preview and placed orders long before the launch. We’re already reached the halfway-mark in our yearly sales budget, says Pär Emanuelsson, Vice President Marketing and Sales at Uddeholm.
In development, Uddeholm has placed great emphasis on making the material simple to machine for toolmakers, giving their customers the opportunity to savings in both time and money. Awareness of the cost per produced part suggests that many customers will start using Uddeholm Vanadis 8 SuperClean to improve productivity and secure an advantage over their competitors.
– This is a tool steel for long run tooling of tough materials that demand a lot of the tool, such as the increasingly common high strength materials in the automotive industry for instance, says Fredrik Carlsson.
– Our new product is very well received in the automotive industry. The number of complex details and parts in high strength steel in cars is continuously growing, and that puts higher demands on the tools. Uddeholm Vanadis 8 meets the needs of the manufacturers, says Pär Emanuelsson.
Uddeholm’s powder steel family, of which Uddeholm Vanadis 8 SuperClean is a part, is made using the latest generation powder steel process. The process has been fine-tuned over the years, and produces an exceptional level of quality that other players on the market find it hard to achieve. This results in the Uddeholm quality that is so well known around the world, and consolidates the brand’s uncontested position in the tooling industry.
Uddeholm Vanadis 8 SuperClean in brief
- Very high abrasive and adhesive wear resistance
- High compressive strength, 64 HRC
- Very good through-hardening properties
- Exceptional ductility
- Very good dimensional stability in heat treatment
- Good tempering resistance
- Good machining and grinding properties